You know your house needs some fresh eyes to take a look — some new ideas, cohesive designs, and a unique perspective. Giving your home what it needs might mean choosing an interior designer. What are some of the things that an interior designer does?
- An interior designer provides comprehensive design advice for your home. An interior designer provides advice on placement of existing furniture and pieces. Additionally, he or she will offer you a better understanding of your own style, taste, and some suggestions for improving the look of your home.
- An interior designer provides a plan. He or she will come up with a plan for your home that includes purchase of pieces and work that needs to be done (such as wallpapering or painting).
- An interior designer executes the plan. He or she will purchase materials and furniture and oversee the work as it’s being done.
Choosing an Interior Designer
Yes, interior designers do all of these things. But, how does one choose an interior designer? What makes an interior designer great to work with? Here are just a few of the things I believe makes a great interior designer — this is how I operate my business; these are my values.
- Choose an interior designer who listens. A great designer will listen to what YOU want and complete a plan that reflects your values, style, and taste. What do you envision? Your designer should be able to know and understand who you are and what you see for your home.
- Choose an interior designer who will commit to staying within budget. Your designer should be ready, willing, and able to remain comfortably within your budget. If an unplanned expense arises, she will inform you immediately and come up with creative solutions to get back on track.
- Choose an interior designer who will happily provide a long list of former clients who will serve as references. Any designer who has been in business will have lots of references happy to speak with prospective clients.
- Choose an interior designer willing to do the leg work. No matter what your budget, your interior designer should be willing to go the distance for you — finding the perfect piece to go in your home, following through with installation, and completing the work that needs to be done in the way that you have requested.
These are just a few of the things that make an interior designer great! Figures out what you love, and communicate it to your designer. Make sure she listens and executes the plan in a way that meets your needs and stays within budget. As always, feel free to contact me for a free consultation! I’d love to help you create your dream home!